Question
Posted by: Cordial | 2005/12/06

3 Questions

Hi DietDoc

3 questions if I may:

I do not enjoy drinking water but can get through quite a lot (2L) per day if I mix it with a little sugared cordial. How bad is this for you really? My colleague told me that it plays haywire with your blood sugar, but then added that it is better than no fluid. I also drink Rooibos tea during the day with 2% milk & 1 tsp sugar.

I was recently on a high protein low carb diet and lost about 4kg, however my BP went from low to high within a month. Its back to normal now but they say that the protein dehydrates you and coupled with a lack of fluid it equals high BP. Is this true? ps. I am losing weight eating (my own plan) a max of the following per day: 2 quality carbs (e.g. oats & a slice of rye bread or brown rice) preferably before lunch-time, lots of veg (2-3) & fruit (2-3) and lean protein (3) plus fat free yoghurt (1). And the water/cordial. I do take a multi-vitamin & Omegatone supplement.

Thirdly I was on sweeteners but after a couple of weeks I develop headaches and nausea. I then tried the fruit sugar from the health shops which pricey. How bad is say 3-4 tsp of sugar daily if I stick to my eating plan?

Thanks & regards
Cordial

Dear Cordial
It depends on how much cordial you add to your water. In small quantities it should not increase your energy intake a great deal. How about drinking cold rooibos tea instead - there is no rule that says you must only drink water to hydrate your body. I am relieved to hear that you have stopped the high-protein diet - yes it can cause high bp due to the dehydration and the high protein content - rather stick to your own diet which looks relatively balanced. I don't think that the sweeteners caused your nausea and headaches. The high protein diet probably caused the nausea (a well known side-effect) and the increase in bp would have contributed to the headaches. If you consider that 4 t of sugar weighing 20g only contains about 60 cal or 252 kJ then you can use it to make a slimming diet more palatable, just don't ingest an excess of sugar as this would increase your energy intake and lead to weight gain.