Question
Posted by: dee | 2004/01/12

3 months preg and put on 3 kilos?

I am only 3 months pregnant, and am eating healthy and going to gym 3 times per week.
I am eating more than i used to, like now inbetween meals i eat a lot of fruit and i have yoghurt and rice cakes with fat free cottage cheese.
So, yet it is more, but its still healthy food. Why have I already put on 3 kilos, isnt that too much too soon?

Your weight gain is within normal limits. You should continue to be careful with your diet.

6
Posted by: Norma | 2004/01/13

Dont worry, I'm 12weeks and picked up 2.8kg,
As long as you snack on healthy foods and dont give in to the bad cravings.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: www | 2004/01/13

The first 3 months of pregnancy I actually lost weight (and I wasn't really overweight to begin with). During the entire pregnancy I only picked up about 8kg and my doc was fine with that because she wasn't monitoring my weight, but the size of my baby via ultrasound. My baby was born at 3,3kg so weight really isn't that much of a factor and you shouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you know your baby is growing well, you can relax.

Reply to www
Posted by: thata | 2004/01/12

You will be suprised how much weight you will pick up. Before people can even see that i'm pregnant, my weight was making them suspicious. They only became aware of my pregnancy when i was 6 months. At the moment i'm 32 weeks and doesn't bother anymore about weight but my baby. So long as i eat correclty and the bay is fine, the rest wil come later. l

Reply to thata
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/12

I wish that I had only picked up 3 in the first trimester!! :-)

3 kilos is normal and you are doing very well. Just remember to snack on nutritious food during meals. I am not sure that rice cakes and fat free cottage cheese, although healthy and slimming, is very nutritious. Remember that your body needs extra energy to grow this little life. Fruit is a great snack and so is yoghurt.

Keep going and look after your baby and yourself!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Cat | 2004/01/12

Hi there,

The recommended weight gain for the first trimester is 3 kilos, so you are on the spot and picking up the healthy weight for a healthy pregnancy. I am now 36 weeks and picked up 13 kilos so far.

3 kilos - first trimester
7 kilos - second trimester
3 kilos - third trimester.

Remember, each pregnancy is different and every pregnant women gain weight differently, my friend picked up 21 kilos at 36 weeks so far and she is still skinny except for the huge belly of course. Her pre-pregnancy weight was 51 kilos!

Don't worry about the body weight too much, it more important to have a healthy baby isn't it?

Reply to Cat
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/12

Don't worry too much about your weight. So long as in total you put on between about 12 and 20 kg's.

I put on steadily from about 8 weeks of pregnancy, my weight gain started slowly (averaged out at about 1kg per month of pregnancy) until I got to 20 weeks, when I started putting on weight faster. I'm at 35 weeks and have put on 16 kg's.
So long as you're eating healthily, that's what's important.

Reply to Purple