Question
Posted by: Betsie | 2005/11/23

2nd IVF/ICSI cycle at your clinic

I have made an appointment to come and see you. As your reception could only fit me in on the 10/01/06, I'd like to know if it is worth it for me to begin with a 2nd cycle.

I recently had a failed IVF/ICSI procedure done by Dr. Trouw in PTA. The reason for IVF/ICSI treatment was because my husband had a vasectomy done ± 8 years ago. I already conceived 2 children normally, and has always had a regular 28 day cycle menstruation period.

I placed a question on the 14th November, RE: VASECTOMY REVERSAL

HISTORY OF 1ST CYCLE

Was on 3 menogon and 1 Lupron for 12 days, and only produced 3 folicles. Dr Trouw retrieved 2 good eggs. 1 egg was a healthy 8-cell on day 3, which Dr. then transferred. The transfer was very painful, as Dr. had to use a catheter as last option to get my uterus in place to be able to transfer the embryo.

Dr. Trouw said that it is a huge possibility that the failure was due to the difficult transfer of the embryo, and that my uterus was under too much tress.

I asked the sister to fax me my Blood tests, and then only saw my results. According to research, my FSH level is abnormal. The results as follow (Sorry in afrikaans):

Age: 38 years

17B Estradiol = 103.0 pmol/L
FSH = 29.30 mIU/mL
LH = 32.37 mIU/mL

Follikuler
Estradiol = 40 - 606
FSH = 2.5 - 10.2
LH = 1.9 - 12.5
Progesteroon = 0.5 - 4.5

Midsiklus
Estradiol = 536 - 1930
FSH = 3.4 - 33
LH = 8.7 - 76.3
Progesteroon = 4.0 - 9.0

Luteaal
Estradiol = 121 - 719
FSH = 1.5 - 9.1
LH = 0.5 - 16.9
Progesteroon = 10.6 - 81

Orale -|- rasepsie
Estradiol = < 140
LH = < 5.6

Swangerskap: 1e trimester
Estradiol = 140 - 13956
FSH = < 0.3
LH = < 1.5
Progesteroon = 36 - 286

If you think that I could try a 2nd Cycle

1. what would you do different than Dr, Trouw
2. should I start taking medicines to prepare me for a better cylce?
3. I am taking Centrum 50+ as a rule every morning and below are a few suggestions I received from other ladies, but better suggestions from your side are most welcome:

1. Staminogro
2. Folic Acid
3. Wheat Grass

Dear Betsie

Thank you for your enquiry today.

Your FSH and Lh levels are disproportionately elevated when compared to your Oestrodial levels, and I would be concerned about the possibility of resistant ovary syndrome or even the first signs of possible ovarian exhaustion.

Should you be considering a second cycle, my first recommendation would be to use much higher dosages of stimulation drugs to try and get a more pronounced response from your ovary. It might also be advisable to use the oral contraceptive pill for one or two cycles before embarking on another cycle to allow receptors in the ovaries to recover and thereafter , respond in a more prominent manner.

The use of Centrum 50 is reasonable but if you want to change to something like stamina gro this wold be of greater benefits to you.

As regards the embryo transfer, I would strongly suggest that we do an ultra-sound guided transfer and even a mock embryo transfer during the cycle so as to avoid a traumatic embryo transfer process in the future. There are other investigations for implantation problems which can be done and could be of particular value in your situation.