Question
Posted by: Maya | 2005/07/11

2nd Caesar and stitches

I'm due for a caesar around about 18 months after my 1st caesar, with baby #2. Is the same incision used or will they make a new cut. Also my Gynae uses stitches that he needs to remove afterwards instead of using the stitches that disintegrates, is there a reason why he'd use the stitches that he needs to remove afterwards as it's more painful i'm told. Another gynae did my caesar the 1st time.
Maya

They will probably use the same cut. The dissolvable stitches are continuous and therefore have a slightly higher chance of infection. That is probably why your doctor chooses to use removable sutures.

1
Posted by: Kate | 2005/07/11

I had two caesars within 13 months of each other and can happily tell you that you will find the second caesar much easier than the first and the recovery time is quicker.

My doctor cut along the same car, he snipped the old scar open and stitched with dissolving inner stitches and removed the outer stitches two days later. They put steritabs along the scar to hold it together. My scar is fine and it wasn't sore taking the stitches out so don't worry.

One thing I wish I knew was they gave me Voltaren suppositories and they made me very ill. I had an awfully upset tummy for a day, they told me it was due tot the powder on the Voltaren. They gave me oral painkillers after that and I had no reaction. A few ladies in the maternity ward had the same reaction so I would suggest you ask for oral painkillers only.

Good luck!

Reply to Kate