Question
Posted by: Sally | 2003/12/22

29 Weeks Pregnant and going to Malaria area

Please can any one give me information on Malaria while you are pregnant. We are booked to go away next week and I dont know if I want to take the chance with my baby. This is my first child so very protective of her. Any info would really be appreciated.
Thank you and wish you all a Great 2004

Malaria can kill you. It is therefore advised to take anti-malaria prophylaxis. It is advised that this should not be used in pregnancy. It is therefore best for pregnant women to avoid going to malaria areas.

5
Posted by: Kate | 2003/12/23

Hi Sally

That is a good decision. Our babies are so precious and so fragile at this point. It is best to do our best to keep them safe and healthy.

Have a great Christmas and New Year. Relax as much as possible. I will be having 14 people over for Christmas lunch so it will be hectic! But I intend on relaxing after that!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Sally | 2003/12/23

Thank you so much Doc, Kate, Rosa and LS for getting back to me. We decided last night that we would not put our baby in any harm and going away can wait. there are so many things out there that can go wrong, so we will stay at home and relax over this Christmas period.
Have a wonderful Christmas and a New Year.

Reply to Sally
Posted by: LS | 2003/12/22

At the antenatal classes they advised against it as some of the medication to prevent Malaria had some harmful ingredient to unborn baby.

Yes what dos the doc say??

Reply to LS
Posted by: Rosa | 2003/12/22

I asked my gynae and she strongly advised against it (even when taking precautions such as Tabard) as malaria can affect the placenta very easily, causing harm to the baby

Reply to Rosa
Posted by: Kate | 2003/12/22

As far as I am aware, you should not be visiting any malaria areas during your pregnancy.

Let's see what the doc has to say though.

Reply to Kate