Question
Posted by: 25w | 2007/07/24

25 weeks pregnant

I am 25 weeks pregnant, and feel as though I have put on too much weight. I want to "slow down" a bit - but obviously want to give the baby everything she needs. I have put on about 9kg - and I started off at 55kg (average BMI).

Any suggestions welcome. Please suggest what intake I SHOULD be eating at this stage too - thank you!

Dear 25w
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you started out your pregnancy with a normal BMI then you can gain between 11,5 and 16 kg over the 9 months without this being excessive. You have gained about 1.44 kg per month which is really not excessive, so just stick to a well balanced diet which contains plenty of fat-free milk and dairy products, lean meat, oily fish (to provide omega-3 for you and baby), 4 eggs per week, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, wholegrain and unprocessed cereals and grains, and mono- or polyunsaturated fats and oils in small quantities. If you continue at the present rate you would gain 13 kg over the 9 months, which is ideal if your BMI was normal to start off with. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Pregnancy'.
Wishing you all the best for the pregnancy