Question
Posted by: hobo | 2007/07/30

24hr resignation

I had to give 24hr notice at my previous company. Eventually i finished up after 3 days. My previous boss was unable to match the benefits I got, and said he will not keep me to my contract, and even cleared an outstanding account i had with them. We are still on good terms, so much so that the new company i work for is one of their biggest clients now!
My question is this. I know that i lost my yearly leave with the previous company, but what are my options regarding leave with the new company. Otherwise i will have to work til next year May until i can take leave. Are the new company suppose to give me the leave or is it not necessary?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You don't loose leave, leave is accrued on a daily basis. This would be exactly the same with your new company. Leave is accrued in terms of the basic conditions of employment act and you receive one day leave for every 17 days worked. You can only take leave by agreement.

MICHAEL BAGRAIM