Question
Posted by: tebogo | 2006/11/08

2467: worried about baby

thanks for ur advice. i will get a live-in-nanny and the baby will start chreche when my finances are up to scratch. but my previous nanny liked to watch TV the whole day and the baby was so attached to it and this is not good for the child. i used to tell her to read for the baby but during the day im not there and i do not know what is happening.

how do i tackle this one

Good thoughts from kat etc. Are you sure the nanny can read ? Sometimes you might take this for granted and only later find that she can't do what you're expecting. It is useful for a child to have stimulation even at this age, but TV might not do much harm in the meantime. Can nanny be persuaded to at least watch the children's programs with her, rather than only the soapies ?

3
Posted by: tebogo | 2006/11/09

My mom is ok with the fact that im takin the baby. she is also working and she is a good granny but agrees that its not good that the little one suffers emotionally. rather the baby will visit her during holidays.

my previous nanny (40yrs) was good with the baby and her cooking/cleaning/washing was excellent ....its only that she likes watching the soapies...and i paid her a total package of R800 plus registered her for uif. R300 was for her traveling expenses (cos she went home once in 2 months), groceries and her medical expenses. and R500 was the cash i gave her.

the nanny was very neat and she went to school up to standard 4. i terminated her becos of my little income. but she understood and said she does not want to work with children anymore but wants some work related to sewing.

she never claimed for UIF cos she says the officers at labour are rude and shout at her. i went passed her parents house 2months ago and noticed that she has not find a job yet and she's got a teenage son, her parents are pensioners and her other 2 sistas have babies and are also not working. only their big brother is working.

so i will ask her to come help me again

Reply to tebogo
Posted by: Echelle | 2006/11/08

Why don't you look for a job in a small town where you'll have more time and where nannies are cheaper? In a small town daycare centres are really very cheaper and your house will be near the place you work. Do you live in Jhb or Pta?

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: kat | 2006/11/08

hi glad to see you are feeling better. look in the papers for a good nanny with references. or ask at your local church group they might be able to help. and quite frankly if the nanny you had was good with your child then maybe give her a call, i realise that she used to watch tv all the time but if she is good with you baby then it might be something to look at especially considering that it wont be for too long only till your money gets better. good luck and thanks for the update, what did your mom say when you told her youare taking your baby home with you.

Reply to kat