Question
Posted by: Neo | 2004/01/23

23 Wks Pregnant and pelvic ache

I am 23 weeks pregnant and for the last week or so I have this pelvic ache. Its not really any kind of strong pain or anything and almost feels like I was doing leg stretches. The ache is around my pubic bone area and feels like I imagine it would feel if my pelvis was stretching or opening. Does this mean my baby could be applying pressure to my pelvis or should I be a little more worried than I am?

The ligaments of the pelvis stretch during pregnancy.\ This may be what you are feeling.

2
Posted by: Neo | 2004/01/23

Dear Kate

Thank you very much. I needed the reassurance and I guess I have a long way to go with the Pelvic pain.

Thanks again

Reply to Neo
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/23

All I can say is shame! I am 33 weeks and have had the same pain for ages now. It gets worse too.

It is completely normal and nothing to worry about. The baby is applying pressure on your pelvis but is not 'engaged' so don't worry.

You may feel like you have been riding a horse for too long or a bicycle. The discomfort starts to feel like a knitting needle being pressed through the pelvic bone. There is a hormone that is released that allows your bones and joints to stretch. This is what is causing this 'movement' in your pelvis. And although it is not pleasant, it is normal and some women feel it more than others.

Just take it easy, don't let your bladder get too full. And don't walk around for ages or sit of ages. When getting out of bed, do so with you legs together.

Take it easy!

Reply to Kate