Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2007/06/19

21.1 Km training

Good day,

I have been out of training for 4 weeks because of torn ligaments.
It wasn't to serious, so I'm back out there. I am a 21.1km marathon on 14 July and need to get as fit as possible as soon as possible in the time I have left. Could you help me with a program or at least an indication on how many times a week I need to run and how far to get as fit as I can in the month I have.
I am a very competitive person.

HI Lizzy

It depends what your target time. If you just want to finish, then it's actually pretty straightforward, because all you need to do is walk and run in ever-increasing durations between now and the run, reaching about 2 hours by the time you do the Knysna event (I assume it's Knysna). The tricky part is training for speed as well, and that's difficult. But my advice is that you look at our 10km running programme, which you'll find under "Programmes" on th Fitness page of this site. The 10 km programme runs over 6 weeks and what I would do is jump straight into week 4 of the programme, giving you 3 weeks of training, and then in the 4th week, you can jump up from 10 km to about 15 km, and then take the last week easy so that you are fresh ahead of the race.

But I think that given your situation it's important that you reign in your normal instincts and look at this as a comeback run, not a performance test, because no matter what you do between now and then, you won't be in your best shape, and so it can be risky to push any harder than you might wish to.

Ross