Question
Posted by: muffin | 2007/12/07

21 month old

my son is on a food strike. He still gets 2 bottles a day of full cream milk (on waking and before bed), but does not want breakfast, I think will eat toast for lunch, last night and the night before refused supper. I am at my wits end, what do I do? I have to say he looks healthy, is not skinny, is a good weight, but seems to be living on fresh air? Should I give him a supplement or a special formula or something? can I give him the weetbix in a box (milkshake) for breakfast, that he seems to enjoy???

Dear Muffin
Young children are known for their tendency to go on food strikes or suddenly to eat only one food or to refuse their favourite foods for no reason, etc. You do need to determine if your son is in perfect health - no underlying infections of the urinary tract, throat, ears, developing teeth, or any other condition that could be suppressing his appetite. If he has been given a clean bill by your dr then I can only suggest that you dilute the milk you are giving him with water because it is possible that the two bottles of full cream milk he has every day, for all intents and purposes satisfy his hunger. You can certainly try giving him the Bokomo product if he enjoys it and also try to tempt him with interesting, tasty foods. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on infant feeding and toddlers to see what and how much he should be eating. Another factor could be that something has happened lately that has disturbed his emotional balance - travels, going to a creche, the advent of another child, stress within the family, etc. If this is a possibility, then do consult a child psychologist for some assistance.