Question
Posted by: MJ | 2008/02/04

21 km Two Oceans

It is six weeks to go & would be participating in the 21 km. I have never run a 21km before but have been doing 10km once a week & go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Can you please advise on how best to train for the longer distance.

Hi MJ

Well, with six weeks to go, you need to start doing more running, and probably the key is to run more frequently, as well as increasing the length of the longest run you do.

What I would try to do is increase the longest run (currently 10km) by about 2 to 3 km a week - so go 12, 14, and then maybe 16km. And then bring it back down to about 15km for two weeks, before taking the final week off - that gives you 6 weeks, and by the time the race comes around you'll have done a 16km run, which should be OK.

Then in addtion, what I think you need to do is start taking 2 days out of your gym routine and do easy, shorter runs, around 6 to 8km long. It's important to get some more running, but you have to be careful here, because to increase the training volume risks injury. Therefore, I would take at least one day off between runs - don't run Mon-Tues-Wed, in other words. Rather go Mon Wed Sat.

And if you feel any niggles coming on, just back off. You are better off 'less trained' but healthy than well trained and injured.