Question
Posted by: Flamby Baderbuis | 2007/08/02

20m daily or 40m every other day

I want to loose weight. Should I do some aerobic exercise for 20 minutes a day or rather 40 minutes every other day? I know that fat burning is really only achieved later in a workout but I know also that by exercising every day, one keeps up one's metabolism. So which is best?

I would say that given the choice of these two, I would go for the every day option. But of course, the third option, which is probably better than both, is to do 40 minutes every day. If you're just starting out, then that's probably a bit much - you either need a rest day in between or you should train less each day, so the 20min option gives you that. But eventually, I would suggest that you aim for five days a week of 40 minutes each day, that's probably the ideal target, because you're right, the duration is important but so is the frequency - training every other day compromises this.