Question
Posted by: dee | 2004/03/11

20 weeks preg and sore throat?

What is safe to take with a sore throat?
Are all the throat lozengers safe to suck?
how much panado is too much?
Is there anything else i can take?

Throat lozenges are fine and Panado 2 three times a day.

2
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/03/11

Hi Dee
Unfortunately everything you take to treat a cold during pregnancy should be local, eg nose spray like Salin and you can use Andolex spray for your throat.
I had a cold at 15 weeks and the Andolex seemed to help alot for my sore throat as well as for the coughing.
I took two panados whenever I felt that I could not handle to sore body and fever anymore.
It took my about a week to get over it. I'm sure Vit C with the above will also help!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/03/11

Hi Dee

Not sure about the lozengers but I'm sure you can ask your pharmacist and he should beable to advise you if any are safe. As for panado, as far as I know its fine as long as you don't exceed the amount on the pack, 8 in a day but check the box to make sure. Not sure if you are a vitamin fan but I am so whenever I start to feel sick I take 1000mg of Vitamin C each day, this seems to work like a bomb. I had a sore throat at the beginning of my pregnancy and in 2 days with Vitamin C it was gone. Have spoken to a few people and the Doc and they've all told me this is perfectly safe. Have also read up on Vitamin C and they found that women taking serious doses during pregnancy ( around 6000mg a day ) had healthier newborns, fewer stretchmarks and none of the babies were born premature and none of the ladies had a miscarriage. It was done on a bout 300 - 400 woman so is quite somehting. Not saying you should take that amount just thought it was an interesting bit of info. Just make sure you get the plain one, in otherwords that there aren't any other vitamins mixed in as well, it'll tell you on the side of the box.

Reply to Wendy