Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2007/04/20

2 YR OLD - KNEE/JOINT PAIN?

I'm a bit concerned as my son who is 2yrs & 6 mnths wakes up during the night crying that his knee is paining. This lasts during the night & is usually fine by the time morning comes. I've heard of growing pains but isn't 2yrs old a bit young? This has happened on more than one occasion & now even Panado Syrup is not helping the pain.

Some advise pls.

Thanx
Mom to Mikki

Dear Concerned Mom
I think a pediatrician should just check his blood and maybe do a x/ray of the leg to exclude any serious disease. In the mean time Ponstan/ Myprodol is an anti-inflammatory pain syrup that may help better. Put a warm( not hot!) hotwater bottle/cornbag on his leg when it is sore.

1
Posted by: Foxybrown | 2007/04/20

Hi pls take Mikki to a doctor and specifically ask for a check on rheumatic fever. When I was a very young child I had bad pain in my hips, knees and sometimes ankles, It got worse and worse until my mum realised I really hadn't fallen and hurt myself and wasn't making it up. Pls take your child to the doc and mention this condition.

I was on penicillin treatment for a while and had to have blood taken from me every week for some months. It may not be the same treatment now as it was for me back then in the early 80s so don't worry that Mikki necessarily has to go thru anything painful.

Pls don't ignore this. Take it from me - the pain gets worse and worse and when ignored, some children are not even able to turn over in bed because the joints are literally on fire.

Rheumatic fever also is connected to some heart conditions.

Obviously I am not saying this is what Mikki has, I am saying pls eliminate it as a possible cause.

Thanks and God bless.

Reply to Foxybrown