Question
Posted by: Chanel Moodley | 2009/10/16

2 YR OLD CHILD ALLERGIC TO MILK

My child has just been diagnosed with milk allergy, what alternatives can I give him, in the form of calcium supplements or food and drink.What products should I avoid, and what on product labels should I look for that contain any traces of milk or anything relating to milk?
Please help me.

Dear Chanel
If you child is 2 years old, you can give him soya milk and soya yoghurt (check on the labels if the products you buy have been supplemented with calcium). It is also important to check every food label and to avoid all processed foods that contain milk, whey, casein, lactalbumin, milk solids or any other form of milk or cheese. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help you with a milk-free diet for your son that is still fully balanced to ensure normal growth. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about milk allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hild

1

Dear Chanel