Posted by: carinkie | 2008/07/27

2 year old on rice milk  need supplement

my 2 yr old son is milk protein intolerant and uses rice milk instead. Is it necessary to put him on a calcium supplement? He is currently taking a daily multivitamin.

Dear Carinkie
I am not sure why your son is using rice milk instead of a soy milk formula or standard soy milk? Has this rice milk been prescribed by a Paediatrician and does it contain any calcium at all? If not, then either change to soy milk which is fortified with calcium (provided he is not also allergic to soy) or start giving him a calcium supplement as soon as possible. Ask your pharmacist for a calcium supplement for 2-year-olds. He will not grow strong healthy teeth and bones if he does not ingest sufficient calcium to provide for his needs.