Question
Posted by: Carien | 2004/10/19

2 short walks rather than 1

Hello

I would like to know if you get the same benefit from 2 daily 2,5 km walks rather than one walk of 5 km? The goal is weight loss. I find that it is easier to fit 2 short sessions into my day than one long one.

Carien

Hi Carien

I think that if this is easier for you, then certainly, go for it! My opinion is that the best is probably to do at least two or three session a week that are longer. I think (though I'm not aware of any studies that have shown in) that the effects as far as weight loss are concerned are greater in a longer session. This would be explained by the hormonal changes that occur during exercise - it's quite complicated how the body regulates metabolism during exercise and when it uses fat and when in uses carbohydrates. In short though, to burn fat, you really do start to benefit more and more the longer exercise goes on - as you keep going, you move more and more to the body's fat stores, and so that's why I would prefer or suggest that you do at least 2 sessions like this a week. Having said this, if it's hard to do and if it's going to mean that you don't train as much, then of course 2 sessions per day is much better - the main thing is to be getting out there and exercising and that's what you need to do, so do it however it will work best for you.

GOod luck