Question
Posted by: Z | 2005/06/01

2 Miscarriages in 1 year

Hi, in Jan 2004 I had a miscarriage at 3 months. I fell pregnant straight after, and gave birth on the 6/12/2004, to the most beautiful little girl we named Schinique, she was stillborn! I went for tests and the reason for my losses is a virus called Situ Megaal.
Don’t know where, how, why I got it, but apparently I will not be able to fall pregnant again because this virus attacks the fetus and the babies are normally disabled, ill, if they live.
My husband encourages me to get help for myself, because at this moment I’m angry, aggressive, very short tempered, lost my sex drive totally, irritable, always tired, don’t care for any thing, things that I normally liked to do is a schlep for me now, in other words I’m in serious trouble, I’m not myself at all any more. I don’t know how to communicate any more!
I sometimes forget that I ever was pregnant, that Shinique ever existed, why is that? Because I saw her, I held her in my arms and kissed her on her forehead, she was beautiful. My husband was in theater with me, he witnessed every thing while the Gynecologist did the caesarian. While I’m typing this I’m crying…, why me. I’m a good mother my other daughter is now 3 years old and healthy, Jessica, and I love her to bitts. During my pregnancy I went for my regular checkups, they even did the 3D scan and a week before I went into labor I was at the Gynecologist, there were no signs of any danger what so ever.

I need help I’m busy to destroy myself and everyone who loves me, I some how build a wall around myself and I don’t know how to break it down!

Sounds like Cytomegalovirus, rather a mouthful to pronounce, so you did pretty well to approxinate it ! Cyto meaning to do with cells, and Megalo indcating something is bigger than usual.
I'm so sorry to hear of your tragic experience --- such things happen, more often than most folks realize, and prety much at random, so we don't deserve it, except that, as in all matters of good or bad luck, eventually it is our turn. You do need, and deserve, to see a counsellor to help you work through this very difficult period of grief.
And get a second opinion from the best available gynae, as further pregnancies might well be possible.

3
Posted by: Liza | 2005/06/01

The correct spelling is Cytomegalovirus. Its contracted by body contact i.e. handshake etc. and stays in your body for life. Most people don't even realize that they have it since there are few if any symptoms in otherwise healthy people.

The happy news is that you CAN get pregnant - even with the virus and deliver a healthy happy baby. You just have to be more careful and ensure that you keep yourself healthy by eating healthy foods, taking necessary vitamins etc. so that a recurring infection cannot take place.

What seems to have happened with your stillborn daughter is that you contracted the primary infection while being pregnant. I'm not quite sure whether this has any relation to your first miscarriage at all.

So you might fall into the 'high risk' pregnancy category, but there is no reason why you cannot try again. According to some statistics I read - the chances that your next child will be born ill or with disabilities, is less than 1%.

Here is a ray of hope - may it shine on you and help a little with the sadness.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Lilly | 2005/06/01

Hi.

I tried surfing the net for info on the virus that your doctor said you had (Situ Megaal). Is this the correct spelling? Maybe you should get a second opnion, just to make sure that what your doctor said is true...

Take care

Reply to Lilly
Posted by: Priscilla | 2005/06/01

I am really sorry for your loss, I know what you are going through. The only way I got "over it" was the fact that I kept reminding myself that I still have a child to care for, and that even though I had lost a few, I at least had a child. Have you ever thought about the unfortunate woman who are not able to have ANY children. Those are the thoughts I would think when I got depro from my losses

Reply to Priscilla