Question
Posted by: Ms X | 2007/12/03

2 JR Males fighting

I have two male jack russells. Lately the two ( father and son) are fighting all the time. They bite each other until they bleed. I want to know if i fix them ( nuter) will the fighting stop. Is there anything else i can do. They fight over everything- food , territory even attention that i give them

I;m dreading the fact that i might need to give one away.
Please Help

Yes neutering them should reduce the aggression but the hormones will still be effective for about 6 weeks following the surgery. Keeping them apart for a while may be necessary.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/03

Male aggression is usually resolved at some point, unlike inter-female aggression which generally doesn't sort itself out.

Neutering the LESS dominant dog will probably help - he'll be less inclined to fight back, and more inclined to becoe submissive, which is what the dominant one wants.

However: JR's are feisty little buggers, not known for their tranquillity or tractability - it was rather asking for trouble to keep two males together!

I agree with Carol that training of both the dogs, as well as yourself, can only help - the training YOU should do is read up on canine aggression so that you understand what drives the dogs, because that way you can create circumstances less likely to get them going.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/03

Neutering and traing and learning and applying pack behaviour should help quite a bit.

Do a google search on calming signals, pack behaviour and alpha dog behaviour.

These tow boys need to be put in their place very smartly .

I must also mention that I have far more knowledge of bitch aggression than male aggression but Chill will also comment

:)

Reply to Carol