Posted by: Sharkette | 2008/08/17

2 cats and pregnant

Hi, since I' ve told people at work I' m pregnant they have been saying I' ll have to get rid of my cats, which I absolutely will not do. The one lady says the cats will " suck the brains out the soft spot"  and the other guy says one cat hair inhaled by baby and he' s dead. I know the thing about cats sucking the soft spot on the head is rubbish but what precautions can I take to keep the cats away from baby when he/she is here?

Dear Sharkette

Speak to a sensible GP. The one lady with the brain sucking story watched to many movies or her mother had a few of those sucking beasts in the house.

Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/17

Oh piffle .... utter drivel.

My kids grew up with cats ... my siamese used to sleep in my daughters cot much to the horror of the mother grundies and today I have perfectly healthy ANIMAL loving kids . okay no longer kids .....adults

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2008/08/17

Hey there, I had 2 cats while I was pregnant, and when baby arrived I was strickt with them regarding getting on the bed where baby was or her room. Somehow they knew that they aren' t allowed in the room and never even tried going in there.
My Peas. said to me that you just take a wet cloth and whipe the cats back and body, the wet cloth will collect all the shedding hair. My child is 100% healthy and I have 3 cats now, with birds and ALOT of fish.

My MIL also told me to get rid of my cats. I feel that a child growing up with animals learns a sence of responsibility and are in general healtier that kids growing up without. My LG is turning 3 now and helps me feeding all the animals.

Reply to Tinkerbell
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/17

What a load of unadulterated drivel. Do me a favour - ask those people if they think the earth is flat. My bet is they say yes.

Once the baby is born, you need to keep the cats out unless you' re present, at least for the first couple of months. You can get cat nets to put over the cot - a bit like a swimming-pool net, only smaller... make sure it' s fitted properly.

What you MUST do now, though, is tell your doctor you have cats, and then get him to do a blood test to see if you have antibodies for toxoplasmosis. Most adults have been exposed to this infection, which you may get from (among other things) exposure to cat faeces - but you must make sure because if you' re not immune, then your baby would be at risk if you were to catch it. It wouldn' t really make you very ill at all - the main danger is to a developing foetus.

Meantime, if your cats use a litterbox, wear gloves when you handle it, and wash your hands very well afterwards. If they do not use a litterbox, don' t be complacent - if you have a garden, I' m sure you must work in it from time to time - same thing.

If you do carry the antibodies, then all is well.

Meantime tell those wellmeaning colleagues that you are onto their little ' jokes' , and take no further notice of them.

Reply to Chill