Question
Posted by: janine | 2008/01/09

1st time runner how far should I go

How many km should I run if I want to start getting fit??

I'm
age 21 Years
weigh 49Kg
lenght 1.6m

I'm cuurently jogging 1.6km a day and in a weeks want to go run a 5km fun race is that ok?

HI Janine

good for you! I think you'll probably be able to handle 5 km, if you are currently doing 1.6km per day, four or five times a week. The only thing you would have to do is rest the day or two before and after, so that your body is able to recover well from the harder effort. And you can expect to feel a little tired and obviously stiff muscles when you finish, perhaps for a day or two. But you have two weeks, so no reason why you can't build up a little more and get to the point where even that doesn't happen.

What I would suggest is that if you are currently running 5 times a week, take 2 of those runs and just increase them to 2km this week, and next week, 2.5km. That adds maybe 5 to 8 minutes to two runs a week and will help you handle the 5km distance. In the longer term, you do the same thing - just gradually, progressively, increase the running distance, never making huge jumps and always resting well after you do run a little further than usual, and i think you'll be OK!