Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/02/12

1st Scan

I am 5weeks and 4 days preggies and go for a scan next week wednesday when I will be 6 weeks 4 days, what can I expect to see on the scan and should I be able to see the heart beating. I had a miscarriage in September so am feeling anxious. If the heart is not beating, what will that mean?

Also I had a cold at the beginning of my pregnancy around 4 weeks and took 900mg of Vitamin C for a few days which got rid of it quickly but am now worried that so much Vitamin C could have been harmful. Is it ok to take so much in pregnancy to fight colds and flu.

The Vitamin C is fine.
At 6 and a half weeks you should see the fetal heart if an internal can is done.

5
Posted by: Me | 2004/02/12

I had my first scan at 6 weeks and one day. The doctor also did an internal and we could clearly see the heartbeat on the monitor, but we could not hear anything yet.

Congratulations and enjoy!!

Reply to Me
Posted by: Norma | 2004/02/12

Congrats !!!!! Hope you will enjoy this as much as we all do...
I went for my first scan when I was just over 6weeks, doc did an internal and we saw the heartbeat and we could hear it, very clearly. You don't see a baby thought, we only saw a "blop". But if you don't hear or see anything don't get worried, as all the above ladies told you.
Well, I hope you can hear the heartbeat, it is really amazing.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Marlene | 2004/02/12

Hi Wendy

I'm 11weeks pregnant and went for my 1st scan @ 6 weeks, We clearly saw the heart beat but it was to early to hear anything. I'm sure your baby is fine with the Vit. you took for your cold. Good Luck with your scan and I hope you see the little heart beat.

Good Luck.

Reply to Marlene
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/02/12

Hi Wendy
Congrats on the pregnancy!!
Yes, I think it will be too early for a heartbeat. The heart only starts beating between 6-8 weeks. I also had a scan at 6+ weeks and there was no heart beat and I was devastated, but when I went back just over 7 weeks the heart was beating, I am now 24 wks.
Maybe you could move your appointment for closer to 8 weeks to avoid dissapointment?

Good luck and let us know!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: lindyloo | 2004/02/12

i think it is too early to hear the heart beat cause my first scan i was 8 weeks and there was no heart beat and im having the next one next week ill be 12 weeks and i think thats when u can hear a heart beat and your question about vitamins i dont know but what i know is u dont have to take vitamin c when u preggies but lets hope nothing is wrong good luck

Reply to lindyloo