Question
Posted by: Young and Restless | 2004/01/28

19 and petrified of PCOS

I have increased facial hair and acne. My periods are irregular. What is the likelihood that I may hve PCOS? Could these problems be caused by a hormonal imbalance? Please help

The only way to know would be to have the tests- either a scan or blood tests.

2
Posted by: Seymore | 2004/01/29

My daughter was diagnosed with PCOS by her gynaecologist after failing to fall pregnant. He treated her and I now have a lovely grandson. She also has skin problems, weight problems, unwanted hairs, etc but hey, its not the end of the world. She is on medication which helps regulate her hormone levels and is constantly being monitored by her doctor. If you have PCOS it may be a lifelong problem and you need a very good understanding supportive doctor.

Best wishes.

Reply to Seymore
Posted by: L.H. | 2004/01/28

All the symptons you have mentioned are due to a hormonal imbalance. Whether you definitely have PCOS needs to be confirmed by a physician or gynaecologist.
PCOS is a hormonal imbalance but it can "regulated" by certain drugs which you need to discuss with your dr.
Try not to worry too much about this as it is not the end of the world. I have severe PCOS myself and had to conceive using fertility drugs,my son is now six yrs old.
I don't wish to alarm you but when you do see a dr. have them check your insulin levels as apparantly there is a link between PCOS and insulin resistance as was in my case. Do not be afraid this can also be sorted out with medication.

Reply to L.H.