Question
Posted by: MC | 2004/01/19

18 weeks - not feeling any movements yet<br>

Good afternoon! I am a bit worried, seeing that I dont think I have felt my babies move. I have not experienced the fluttering of butterflies and am dying to feel anything. Went for a scan on Friday and the little ones are doing fine. Am I just missing it?

Some women only feel movements later. If the scan was normal, there is nothing to worry about.

3
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/20

Hi MC
Purple hits home with her description, and as she has said, with first pregnancies it takes a bit longer.
I have spoken to my gynae about it yesterday - she is also pregnant and will have a c-section on Friday , however she has indicated that she has only started to feel movement at 23 weeks - also with her first child!!
However I am now 20wks with my 3rd and have experienced this since 15/16 weeks - somedays alot other days quiete. It has picked up more but still I have the quiete days - like yesterday. It is such an amazing feeling!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Zynelle | 2004/01/19

Purple, that is exactly how I feel it. You have the perfect description, I couldn't put into words, now I can!!!
To Mc, I am also 18 weeks on Wednesday, but Saturday night I was in bed reading book, when I felt exactly the same description as Purple just mentioned and then a KICK!!!, about 5 seconds later it hit me, and I said to my husband the little one has just made it's presence present. (Hope that sounds right!!) The thing is, us woman are so busy with a daily tasks that we don't pick up on the signs. But they are there. Good Luck.

Reply to Zynelle
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/19

In first pregnancies, its normal to feel movement for the first time anywhere between about 18 and 22 weeks, so you should start feeling movement anytime from now onwards.

I didn't find fluttering to be a good description of what the movement felt like. In the beginning mine felt more like a trapped bublle of air running under my skin. Later on it became more definite kicking type movement.

Remember as well that often the baby only really moves at night, as during the day you rock it to sleep.
I also didn't feel movement every day until I got to about 24 weeks.

Reply to Purple