Question
Posted by: Thea | 2005/11/25

18 months 5 miss-caraiges and still no baby

Doc,

My husband and I have been trying now for 18 months to fall pregnant. I have missed my period on 5 different occations, got the blood test done and found to be pregnant, but at 6 weeks I miss-carry. I had the gynae do all the test and the results came back that I am fine. My husband has not been for tests yet, but we are now really getting desperate to fall pregnant. Is there anything wrong with with his sperm if we are falling pregnant, but the egg does not attach itself? Is there anything else that we could try?

Dear Thea

If what you have noted is accurate and correct, then I would consider the problem to be that of recurrent pregnancy losses. It may be secondary to implantation failure or some form of genetic chromosal abnormality in the embryo's.
Other causes such as abnormality of the womb or hormonal insufficiency may contribute to the problem as well.

I would suggest t hat the next time you miss your period and have a positive pregnancy test, that you immediately seek assistance from a fertility specialist. I woul also recommend in the interim that a thorough investigation be undertaken to exclude all but the chromosomal abnormalities. The latter ;i.e. chromosomal problems, are fairly difficult to diagnose and may require expensive genetic investigations on both sides.