Question
Posted by: H | 2010/06/15

18 month old toddler diet

My daughter is at creche and eats mielie pap for breakfast, drinks approx 500ml of Nan3, two bottles of rooibos tea with milk and little sugar, about 250ml juice and rooibos tea mix in sipply cup (straw), about 125ml pure water everyday except on a weekend she will have oats for breakfast. Lunch on Monday and Thursday is pasta, tuna and veggies and spaghettie bolognaise and Tuesday and Wednesday is meat and veg. Friday is Fishfingers and bread. Supper in week mac and cheese, mac and chicken etc and weekends she will have baby mielies and baby potatoes with braai chipalatas etc so what i actually want to ask is: Snack for creche i put in about 8 flings, 4 baked bacon biscuits, tiny cheese biscuits, small cheese and marmite scone or mall banana or carrot muffin, melrose cheese, maybe tiny pieces of dried fruit/ chopped pieces f cheese/ tiny pieces of biltong. Is this suitable or would you have any suggestions? Do you think i could make her tiny brown break sarmies (she doesnt eat peanut butter)?

Dear H
Are you 'HMOM' who had a problem with inserting a 'Subject' on 2 June? This is the answer I posted for you on that day: "From what you say, I think your daughter is getting a relatively varied diet, but I would start giving her more fruit and vegetables (also as snacks, e.g. baby tomatoes, naartjie or apple segments, etc) and if she is not allergic to cows milk, introduce her to yoghurt and cottage cheese so that you have other options to put on her mini sandwiches or muffins. The fruit and veg will boost her vitamin and mineral intake and also keep her energy intake moderate so that she does not gain too much weight and the dairy products will help provide calcium to build strong bones and teeth. Be careful not to give her too many high fat foods (the chips, biscuits, viennas)." You can certainly give her brown bread sarmies with cottage cheese or tomato for example.

1

Dear H