Question
Posted by: Helpme | 2006/07/27

16 year old - Headaches for past 4 days

My daughter has had a constant headache for 4 days. She has been to a doctor - checked ears, etc. He gave her Ibupain Forte and Clopamin. The Ibupain works for a little. She's dizzy when getting up or sitting down after standing. She can't stand loud noise. She was nauseous. She complains that she can't feel if she's full after a meal, wants to go to the toilet or when she's hungry. Her urine burns sometimes.

Dear Helpme
This does not sound so good - she may have encephalitis - take her back to the doctor for follow-up as he may need to refer her to a neurologist.

2
Posted by: anxious | 2006/07/27

Severe headache can be a sign of a bladder/kidney infection. I had the most unberable headache once and took pain killers - it wouldn't go away - I NEVER get severe headaches - so when I do get them I know something's not right. I went to the doctor and had a urine dipstick - and had a kidney infection. Your gp should have considered a possible bladder infection - ask for an MC&S lab urine test to be done - you will then know - if it is one and is being left untreated she could develop complications very quickly.

Get her to hand in a urine test at your gp and make sure they do an MC&S lab test - not just a doctor's dipstick test - this is because lab MC&S tests are far more accurate and can determine what type of bacteria is causing the infection if the results are positive and what antibiotics are resistant and what are sensitive to the relevant infection.

Believe me I know all this, because I have chronic kidney problems and I lost count years ago how many urine tests I have handed in!

Hope your daughter finds the cause of her problem and gets better soon.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Lou | 2006/07/27

It sounds like she needds to be checked for a Urinary Tract Infection too. The GP needs to be a little more thorough than just checking the head area!

Reply to Lou