Question
Posted by: Tania | 2006/11/08

16 weeks pregnant on the Mirena

6 weeks ago I have discovered I am 10 weeks pregnant whilst using the Mirena IUD. Unfortunately my gynie could not remove the IUD as the strings moved up. My concern is; what are the side effects of the hormones released by the Mirena on the unborn foetus and how safe is it leaving the Mirena in.

Trying to remove the Mirena at this stage will be more harmful than leaving it. There isn't much information on the effects of the hormones on the fetus.

1
Posted by: Maya | 2006/11/10

Unfortunately the effects of progesterone on an unborn child are unknown, but removing the Mirena could cause the foetus to abort. I'm so sorry for your predicament but trust that your doctor has your baby's best interest's at heart and that it will work out for the best:)

Reply to Maya