Question
Posted by: Fluffy | 2005/06/30

15 yrs and 80 kg, is that overweight?

I am 15 yrs and 80kg, I feel overweight and people tell that I am overweight? I have been on diets without any luck. How can I stick to a diet an loss weight. I will have a light breakfast and supper at night time. My mom use to give us supper between 4 & 5 pm and I started to loss weight, but since my dad is back from Africa, we will have supper any time from 6 to 8 pm. Is that healhtly or not. I will aprreciate any advice. Thank you

Dear Fluffy
I can't work out your BMI because you have not listed your height in metres and present weight in kg, but the average weight for girls (I presume you are female) between 15 and 18 is 55 kg, so I think you are overweight or even perhaps obese. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Exercise is a particularly important method of losing weight in teenagers. You need to get as active as possible and exercise for at least 30 or more minutes a day.