Question
Posted by: James | 2005/12/04

14year old with protein

I'm 14, weigh 66 kgs and 1.7m tall. 20% is body fat, i'm vegetarian and take a protein shake as i do not get a lot. I want to try and get my body fat down to about 12%. Diets don't work for me, is there anything else that i can do? I train 3 times a week.

HI James

I think you are on the right track. You have this super advantage of older guys wanting to achieve the same goal, and that advantage is that your body is absolutely producing a hormone, testosterone, which does all the things you want to achieve. It increases muscle mass, it reduces body fat, so over the next 4 years, you can expect to see these things happen, even if you did no training at all. I think that considering you are a vegetarian, you are correct to take protein, it is needed by the body, though don't go overboard on the shakes, you don't need them. As for other supplements, you really don't need them either. The risk of taking supplements far outweighs the benefits, and so you should not worry about this yet. Maybe some day, when you have achieved all you can from training, and you are fully grown, then you can look at a supplement of some kind, but in general, they have risks that are not worth it. And, quite frankly, I believe that considering your body is in this state of wanting to develop and grow all the time, if you over did the supplements, you are likely to just put on extra weight as fat eventually, not what you want.

So just keep up the training. Provided you train sensibly you will be fine, and you will also increase your muscle mass and reduce body fat. I think that stick with 3 days per week now, but next year, increase to 4 days a week and then the year after, an average of 5 days a week, so that by 17 and 18, you will be doing 5 or 6 days a week easily enough on average. But just enjoy training, don't be impatient and don't force yourself to build muscle too young.

1
Posted by: James | 2005/12/04

PS: Are there any supplements good and safe to use?

Reply to James