Question
Posted by: Trace | 2004/11/09

14 wks pregnant- is my baby too small?

I am hoping someone can put my mind at ease. Had a scan yesterday and doc said baby was 8.5cm big. He says everything is fine and baby is ok. But todaysomeone said that the baby should be about 10cm now. So now i am worried that my baby is too small. Is the 10cm at 14 wks just a thumb suck rule? and is my baby's size nothing to worry about?
I really would appreciate any feedback

8.5cm is a normal crown rump length for 14 weeks. 10cm might be the total length of the baby. This is not measured on scan because babies are usuallly curled up.

8
Posted by: Linda | 2004/11/09

My baby was only 7.04 cm at 13 weeks and 3 days. The gynaecologist said he was only VERY SLIGHTLY below average length.

Reply to Linda
Posted by: Tracey | 2004/11/09

Thanks guys

Really appreciate your help and advice!

Reply to Tracey
Posted by: Angie2 | 2004/11/09

Hi trace

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.I suggest u try the site babycentre dot co dot uk.It will really help and put your mind at ease.All babies are different in utero.
Good Luck

Reply to Angie2
Posted by: lolo | 2004/11/09

Please, please don't worry about that weight now. Concerntrate on eating healthy and relaxing. The baby will gain weight as time goes on. Do not try to loose weight while u are pregnant. That is a risk.
You still have a long way to go. Please enjoy your pregnancy, God will be with u all the the way. You must pray that He must give u a well & healthy child.

Reply to lolo
Posted by: Norma | 2004/11/09

Don't worry. Every baby is diffr, they don't all grow as fast. Whatever you read is just an estimate.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Marlene | 2004/11/09

You know what, I really don't think you should worry. Firstly not all the babies are the same lenght, when they are in you still growing and developing or when they are born. Your doc. would definitly have told you if something is wrong or if he is worried. There is no written rule that at a specific amount of weeks your baby MUST be this or that lenght or else......

Trust me.. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and my sister in law is 37 weeks and we were different at the same stages when we compared. My baby is picking up weight quicker then her's over a shorter period (weeks).

Don't worry... I'm sure everything is fine.

Keep well.

Reply to Marlene
Posted by: Tilli | 2004/11/09

Hi Trace,
Another thing to notice is that your gynae will measure the crown to rump length (ie head to bum), Sometimes other measurements one reads about refers to total length - i.e. head to toe. If you are worried - give him a call to confirm that there is nothing to worry about!
Good luck and enjoy!

Reply to Tilli
Posted by: Jj@ | 2004/11/09

I'm sure your gynae would have mentioned something if he was worried about the size of your baby. Rather speak to the gynae than listen to people that maybe don't know what they are talking about.

Reply to Jj@