Question
Posted by: Jessica | 2005/07/26

136/109 - Blood Pressure

Hi there, this weekend we tested my fiancee's blood pressure. He is 30 years old, 1.78m and weighs 84.5. His blood pressure was 136/109, We know this is very high, He is also a smoker and plans on stopping smoking after the batchelors (which is this coming weekend) What other advice do you have, does he need to seek medical help or can we control it by stop smoking, eating more healthier and exercising. We are going to monitor his blood pressure this coming month, or should we go to a doctor?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jessica,

If that BP is accurate, then he will need some form of treatment, as that level is defined by the American Heart Association as beyond Pre-Hypertension, and is called Stage 1 established Hypertension. I can understand that there is much “stress” at present, if there is a bachelor’s coming up and a wedding soon. However, the fact that he responds to stress by developing Hypertension is an important sign of how his cardiovascular system is functioning at present – not well at all. In the bigger picture, weight loss, exercise and DEFINITELY STOPPING SMOKING ( why wait until after the party, why not just stop now?) will all help, but he needs to get that pressure down now.

The best person to monitor his BP is his doctor. If treatment is needed, then he can invest in a home BP machine, and you can both monitor his progress daily or weekly. So, my advice is that he sees a doctor soon, and makes the necessary lifestyle changes soon. He will need lots of support and encouragement when he quits smoking.

Good luck to you both, and congratulations on the forthcoming wedding. Go easy at the bachelor’s !!!

HeartDoc