Question
Posted by: Jane1 | 2004/10/20

12 week scan- can anyone tell me about the tests?

Hello Ladies,
I am only on ten weeks today, but I have been thinking a lot about my twelve week scan. The gynae said she'd be doing all the tests (Downs, etc) at that appointment.
Can anyone tell me what to expect- what exactly is going to be tested, and how (i.e. blood taken?). How long until you get all the results.
Thanks so much.
Jane1

12 week scan is to pick up any obvious abnormalities and blood tests are done to screen for downs

3
Posted by: Tania | 2004/10/20

Francis explained it very well. Please remember to take a video!!! I didn't, and I regret it so much becasue the 12week scan is fantastic. Your husband must also definitely go. I went for my 22 week scan a few weeks ago, and although it is very nice to see the baby every time, the 12 week scan is the most exciting.

Enjoy!!

Reply to Tania
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/20

I phoned my gynae for the results a week after the scan and blood test.

Francis has outlined the process.

The result they give you is an assessment of what risk you have of the baby having down's syndrome, so it will be 1 in 300 (highish risk) or 1 in 800 (lower risk) etc. If the risk is high, they then offer you the option of having an amnio. The amnio can tell you for certain whether the baby is downs or not. Remember tha the amnio carries a risk of miscarriage of about 1 in 200.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Francis | 2004/10/20

Hi Jane

Well it is one of the biggest moments to see the little one fully developed and you can see everything. I went to the Fetal Assessement Centre and they took 45 minutes to show me everything about my baby. From the years to the toes.

They will measure the thickness of the neck to make sure that your chances are slim of having a down baby. If the neck is too thick then they will probably book you for an amnio on 16 weeks.

On the same day of your scan you will also have to do a few bloodtest to minimize your chances more of having a down. The scan and the bloodtest together adds up to 95% accuracy.

Sorry for spelling. Take a video with you and enjoy every moment of the scan.

I am going tomorrow for my 22 week scan and can't wait.

Reply to Francis