Question
Posted by: RDK | 2004/12/09

10w5d Pregnant - Tired feeling & crampy in lower tummy

I am happy to report that my morning sickness is under much better control now. I only vomit in the morning and late at night when my stomach gets empty and thats about it. For the past few days I have been extremely tired, especially in the mornings and at work I cant keep my eyes open. Am I lacking something? Also last night I started getting these dull cramps in my lower tummy. They felt almost period-like. Is it normal at this stage of my pregnancy? Please comment.

These symptoms are quite normal. You could try Vitathion for energy. the nausea often settles by 12 weeks.

8
Posted by: RDK | 2004/12/09

Thanks Kate for all your help. I will try your suggestion to see how it works.
RDK

Reply to RDK
Posted by: Kate | 2004/12/09

RDK - I noticed that in my first pregnancy I was getting a bit nausea after taking the vitmains and the doctor told me to leave them until the second trimester and that just the daily dose of Folic Acid was fine in the first trimester. I was concerned that because I was also a bit off food that the baby was lacking in vitamins and minerals but two doctors and a pharmacist advised me that the baby is basically using my resorces of vitamins during pregnancy. The extra vitamins we take are for us, so if you can do without them in the first trimester it is better as you shouldn't get the nausea. I would suggest you go off them for a few days (but take folic acid which you can get at the pharmacy for dirt cheap) and then see how you feel. The lack of iron may just lead to tiredness which you have already and it will pass in the next few weeks and when you are 12 weeks you can start taking the PNF again.

I found with both pregnancies, this routine helped me as I did get 'evening' sickness where dinner was just 'to vomit for'!! I never actually got physicall sick so I was lucky but I certainly felt more nauseas when taking the vitamins.

Good luck!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: zinzizo | 2004/12/09

Im now 13 weeks 1 day pregnant, i still feel very tired, at work i usually take a nap at 11am. The cramp feeling in lower tummy is normal and my gynae told me at least when you have them you know that your baby is growing.

I cant help it thought with morning sicknes im very nauseous i thought it will be tgone by ths time but to my surprise its still there its like im 8 wks preggies and im feeling down.

Reply to zinzizo
Posted by: RDK | 2004/12/09

Kate - The gynae told me to stick with the pre-natal forte and not to take additional folic acid as the the pre-natal forte already contains the required amount. When I had my first blood pregnancy test, they found that my iron was a bit low. I assume thats why he told me to stay on the PNF. I, too noticed that the tablets were making my nausea worse, cos sometimes after taking them I would vomit them up. That's why I take them at bedtime. Is folic acid all you really need during the 1st trimester - even if I havent been eating all that well and healthily.

Reply to RDK
Posted by: Kate | 2004/12/09

Bear in mind that the increase in iron due to taking a multi-vitamin in the first trimester can increase your nasuea. I would suggest you leave out the prenatal forte and just take your folic acid for now. I am surprised the gynae hasn't told you that to ease your sickness.

Just a hint!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: RDK | 2004/12/09

Thanks for the replies so far.
JJ - Yes, I take pre-natal forte tablets at bedtime but it doesnt seem to be giving me energy in the mornings when I need it the most. I also dont want to take too many tablets, but I'm sure I can take another supplement. My next gynae appt is next Wednesday and I cant wait to see how much my baby has grown! I'll ask the doc to prescribe something. Thanks!

Reply to RDK
Posted by: JJ | 2004/12/09

Hi RDK,

I am 11 weeks 2 days pregnant and I still get period like pains and am still rather sleepy but not that much.

My gynae recommened DS-24 which I think helps me with engery levels, are you taking a muti vitiam, if not ask your gynae to suggest one.

I think the period pains are very normal as your uterus is getting bigger these are the pains we are getting.

Hope I helped you out a little bit.

JJ

Reply to JJ
Posted by: Kate | 2004/12/09

Yes, period-like pains are very normal in the first trimester. They do make you worry though but don't worry too much, mine went at about 14 weeks. Your ligaments are also constantly stretching to accomodate the growing uterus.

Feeling very tired in the first 12 weeks is very normal too. Although you wish you could take a 'pick-me-up' as it can really get to you. Try resting as much as possible and knwo that the tiredness will lift in the next couple of weeks.

Take care

Reply to Kate