Question
Posted by: Mimi | 2004/11/03

10km run/walk

There is a 10km race this evening and I am not very fit and would like to get into running. I usually take a 1km walk about once per week. Do you think I can manage to walk and run this distance at such short notice. I need to start. Please advise.. I've never ran such a long distance in my life.

Hi Mimi

It's a bit late for this particular race, but I think that 10 km (up from the usual of 1 km) is too big a jump and will only cause problems for you. That said, maybe you did the race and it went fine and you can keep going, I don't know. Some people just seem able to do it, but in general, it's not a great idea to increase this much. They often talk about making at most 10% increases, but even this is a little dodgy to prescribe to everyone. Some might handle 20% others need 5%. I also think that the combination of walking and running is the way to go to start with. You might well be able to build up about 30 minutes of running, if you for example walk 2 minutes, jog 2 minutes for an hour. However, even this is very much more than you presently do, since your maximum walk at the moment is probably about 20 minutes a week. Therefore my advice is to check out the following website:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that.

1
Posted by: LV | 2004/11/03

Mimi,

My personal opinion is that you should not do a 10km. Rather see if they do not have a 5km instead. 10km is quite a bit for a novice and guaranteed to tag along some injury which you'll regret later on.

Reply to LV