Question
Posted by: K | 2008/01/21

100 day cough

Please tell me more about this thing they call the 100 day cough. I have had this cough for about 2months now, although it carries on changing, uncontrolled coughing fits, to wet cough, to tickly cough which happen occasionally. Now it is a very wet cough, which happens only sometimes and it is not uncontrollable, but I am bringing up green mucous and need to clear my throat quite a bit. I am also a smoker female 29years old.
I even pulled a chest muscle a few weeks ago due to the coughing. The chest muscle is much better and so is the cough, although I am concerned about the green mucous.
Someone told me about the 100day cough and similar to whooping cough. Please clarify

Dear K
“the 100 day cough” is another name for Whooping cough, which I am fairly sure you don’t have as you don’t describe the classic “whoop” and shortness of breath in your throat! We are also almost all vaccinated against whooping cough or pertussis ( ask your mom if you are not sure).
Many of the viruses that cause upper and lower breathing tract infections can cause irritation and inflammation that can take a while to go away, but especially in South Africa, if you have been coughing for more than 6 weeks you need an xray to exclude TB and your doctor need to check if you have a chronic post nasal drip or allergy that keeps feeding the cough.