Question
Posted by: PLEASE HELP THIS 10YR OLD!!! | 2007/08/15

10 year old obese

Hi I really need some advice about my 10yr old niece, she weighs 83kgs and is about 1.4m (not sure about the height but it's the average 10year old's height) her weight is really worrying and I don't think she's aware of her condition, she goes swimming 3 times a week for an hour , the parents no longer buy crisps and chocolates but a lot of fruit which she hardly touches....apart from swimming there's not much physical activity, she doesn't get chores at home i also think she might be diabetic because she goes to the loo quite often...she has always been chubby but it is now way out of hand another thing that makes me seek advice is that she recently told the parents that she wants to enter a modelling competition at school which makes me very concerned...I suggested to the parents that they need to speak to her and make her aware that she needs to work on losing weight for her wellbeing,
PLEASE ADVICE WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO GET THEM TO REALLY TAKE THIS MATTER SERIOUSLY...SURELY BEING THAT BIG AT 10 ISN'T NORMAL HELP ME TO HELP THE POOR CHILD

THANKS,TUMI (PTA)

Dear Tumi
I can understand that you must be very worried about your niece. The average weight for girls aged 10 years is about 28 kg, so if your niece weighs 83 kg then she weighs more than double the normal weight. Her height is within the normal range. I can only suggest that you try and convey to her parents that she is in danger of developing obesity-associated diseases such as diabetes (if she does not already suffer from diabetes) and that she need professional assistance ASAP. The child must be assessed by a physician to see if she already suffers from diabetes or any other condition that could be contributing to the weight gain (e.g. hormonal imbalances), and a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist the child and her parents with a diet and advice on how to help her start losing weight and if necessary how to control the diabetes. Exercise is also one of the most important factors in helping young people to lose weight. The child needs to do 30 or more minutes of brisk exercise a day (walking, jogging (if she is able), skipping, swimming, cycling, or doing workouts at a gym or joining Walk for Life). The exercise stimulates the metabolism, promotes weight loss and also helps to control blood sugar and insulin levels (if she is diabetic).
Holding thumbs for all of you

1
Posted by: Tumi | 2007/08/16

Thank you so much doctor for the response and valuable advice, I sent your response to the parents and they will take her to the hospital tomorrow I think this is what it took for them to realise how serious her condition is...thanks a lot

Regards,Tumi

Reply to Tumi