Question
Posted by: Claire | 2005/05/24

10 weeks pregnant - urgent question

I am presently 10 weeks pregnant. I went for a scan on the 29/04/05 and the baby was fine (saw the heartbeat). I week before there was a stringy line of blood in my discharge. Since the scan was fine I assumed it was implatation bleeding. Went back for a second scan on 14/05/2005 and baby was growing - heartbeat increased. Since then I have had 3 occassions when I went to the toilet and noticed a tiny stringy piece of blood with my white discharge when I wipe. It occured once on that 3 occassions. Its not like a period. Is this normal? Could it be my hormones? I don't think I am miscarrying? I have had a miscarriage before at 5 weeks and I know how it feels.

This is a threatened miscarriage, which means that there is the possibility of miscarriage. 80-% will settle down and carry on normally.

3
Posted by: Foxy | 2005/05/24

Hi Claire,

I also had the same problem at 10 weeks, and it was in infection I had deep inside, which is treated with a cream you insert, but you have to go see your doctor, its not harmful to your baby but uncomfortable for you, I was in such a panic state when i saw it.

Reply to Foxy
Posted by: Nix | 2005/05/24

As long as you've told your doctor and he's not worried, you should be fine. I had slight spotting at 12 weeks and rushed to my gynae. He said bleeding in pregnancy is never normal and its always best to get it checked out. My scan was also fine. You're nearly at 12 weeks and then the risk of miscarriage drops dramatically.

All the best
Nix

Reply to Nix
Posted by: Minnie | 2005/05/24

Hi Claire

I also had some spotting at the beginning of my pregnancy, if I can remember correctly, up until about 8 weeks, as well as a full blown period at the time my period would normally arrive. My baby is fine now (17 wks) and no more spotting.
I've heard that the bleeding could be the cause of low progestorone levels. Other times it's just a mystery. Just as long as your doctor knows about it.
Good luck!

Reply to Minnie