Question
Posted by: af | 2004/03/03

10 km pretdraf

Ek gaan hierdie Saterdag vir die eerste keer in my lewe 'n 10km draf. Op hierdie stadium draf ek 5-6 keer per week 5km op die treadmill, dit vat my so 32 min. (Draf al meer as 'n jaar so maar vir 'n ruk opgehou en 2 maande terug weer begin) Ek eet baie vrugte en groente omdat ek allergies is vir alle "wheat" en wit meel ook vir soya en baie groen groente. Ek eet baie geel groente en aartappel en in die oggende eet ek buckwheat of maltabella. Eet 3 etes per dag maar 2 keer vrugte tussenin. Ek weeg my kos sodat ek die regte hoeveelheid van elk kan inkry volgens Hilda Lategan - Dietkundige. Vanoggend to ek opstaan het ek soos in amper flou geword - het hard asem gehaal en die sweet het op my voorkop uitgeslaan. Ek het ook gevoel my pols is bietjie vinniger as gewoonlik. Alles het om my gedraai en ek moes weer gaan lê. Nadat ek ontbyt geët het het ek weer beter gevoel.

Wat ek wil weet is - ek hardloop altyd in die aand en hierdie gaan in die oggend wees - hoe lank voor die tyd moet ek eet - ek is nie gewoond om op 'n vol maag te draf nie, hoeveel water moet ek vooraf drink- wat moet ek eet en moet ek rus voor die tyd en nie op die treadmill hardloop nie. Ek doen so tussenin bietie weight training.

Bywoorbaat dankie vir die raad.

Ideally, you should aim to eat at least 90 minutes to 2 hours before you start exercise. What happens when you eat is that your insulin levels rise. This happens so that your blood glucose can return to normal. When you exercise however, your blood glucose levels are controlled by another process altogether. Therefore, if you exercise and have this sudden increase in insulin (if you eat before exercise for example), you run the risk of becoming hypoglycaemic. Therefore, what you have to do is to eat about 90 minutes before, so that the food is properly absorbed, and the associated insulin increase has passed. I hope that's not too technical to follow. Now, obviously, the time depends on what you eat - if it's a really light meal, you can get away with eating a little later - say, 60 minutes before. So, it's up to you, but I would say that a minimum of 60 minutes will do.

Now, one other thing that may be cause for concern is that very few people feel light headed right away when they get out of bed. One possible alternative to being low on sugar is that you stood up too fast, and this actually affects blood pressure, so I'm not convinced that your problem that morning was caused by not eating. Many people experience this when the exercise without eating, but to wake up and feel this way is very unusual. Therefore, it may be a once off event, and not something to worry about too much. Having said that, I know you have seen a dietician, but even the fact that you are meticulously weighing your food makes me worried that perhaps your diet has become very precise and from experience, when people start weighing their food, it often means they are not eating enough. However, I'm not the person to comment on this.

GOod luck in the race - I hope that it goes well, and keep up the running.

1
Posted by: Runner | 2004/03/04

Ek gaan verduidelik in Engels as jy nie omgee nie.

I am a veteran of nearly 250 races ranging from 8km to Comrades. Well done on taking the big step to the road. I really hope that everything goes well on Saturday.

I eat about 90 minutes before a race in the morning. Basically I eat 2 slices of toast and a cup of coffee. If the race is a marathon then in addition I will have a banana about 30 minutes before the race with some energade/powerade.

You have said that you can't eat the wheat so the fruit before the time will be fine. Not too much though.

Stay away from dairy products like yoghurt and breakfast cereal before the race.

Energy bars are fine. You will have to by trial and error determine what is best for you.

May I also suggest that if you are going to continue with road running after this Saturday, you'll have to put time in on the road and not only the treadmill. It's very different running. It's okay from time to time and in the wet months, just to keep the heart rate going, but you must get out on the road.

If you want anymore info you're welcome to send me an e-mail at

paulrunner20 @ hotmail dot com

If not all the best for Saturday. I hope that you have a gr8 run.

Reply to Runner