Question
Posted by: Savannah | 2008/01/22

1 YEAR LATER AFTER GASTRIC BYPASS

Hi Doc - How are you doing? Well, I am just WONDERFUL.
A year has passed since my GB and I have to today lost 49kg! Went from a size 28 pants down to 16! I look and feel like a different person and some people I have not seen in some time don't recognise me at all. Weight came down from 135kg to 86kg.
People treat me differently. In the past I was the fat old boere girl, now I am a pretty woman who definitely get some second glances.

I am still going strong and would like to lose about 20kg or so during this year. Have not kept the aerobics going because of time constraints, but now opt to go on the crazy fit machine.

I feel so good. Don't sleep in the afternoons anymore, don't snore, don't feel tired anymore and it is absolutely wonderful to walk into any clothing store and buy nice pants from the shelf. I do my housework myself, work in the garden, play with the kids and just look and feel amazing. I do have some loose skin under my arms, between legs and tummy, but it is a small price to pay.

I just thought I would let you know how I am doing and would also like to tell all the morbid obese people out there that a GB is a wonderful operation that gives you a new life! If you have the money and you qualify, don't wait another single day. Do it!

Keep well and I will let you know of any other progress.

*Hugs*
Savannah

Dear Savannah
You darling girl, I was wondering and wondering how you were progressing and here like a present for the new year is you message! I am THRILLED by your achievements - losing 49 kg earns you 49 ****. I am just so pleased for your sake. It also goes to show that these ops do work and that you can overcome the initial problems. I actually attended a so-called 'Bariatric Workshop' last week where we were given plenty of feedback about the various ops and how the patients progress. It is evident that more and more centres are now making this op available and I intend writing an article for next week's DietDoc Topic on this workshop.
Please keep in touch as you are a very special person in my life.
Keep up the good work and enjoy your success.