Question
Posted by: Shocker | 2007/07/10

1 MEAL A DAY...

Dear Doc,

I think I know what your answer is going to be - but I just need to hear it for myself...

I need to lose about 15kg´s to get to my ideal weight of 65kg (height is 172cm, weight currently is 81kg, female, 26 years old) and have a history of losing weight and then putting it back on. I'm doing a 60 minute aerobics class about 3 times a week, which I love, and I do a large amount of walking during the day to get to get around (about 1 hour in total). My question is, should I rather eat 4 - 6 small meals a day or not eat anything during the day - just a meal at night? I find if I start by eating breakfast - the rest of my day is a disaster and I land up eating huge amounts. But if I don't eat during the day and only at night, then I am much more disciplined!

Ha ha...shocking, I know!!!
Thank you.

Dear Shocker
Your present BMI = 27,3, which is in the overweight range. You are correct that if you can reduce down to65 kg, your will have an ideal BMI of 22. My answer to your question about eating only one meal a day versus eating 5-6 small meals, is based on research findings that people who 'nibble' (5-6 small health low-fat meals a day) are thinner than 'gorgers' who eat only one large meal a day. From what you say about having a history of losing weight and then regaining it (possibly the yo-yo dieting syndrome) and the fact that eating a meal like breakfast makes you overeat, it is possible that you suffer from insulin resistance (IR). I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can assess what is going on with you and provide you with a diet based on foods with a low-GI (glycaemic index) split into 5-6 small meals a day. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Do keep up the exercise as this not only helps for weight loss, but also stabilises blood insulin and glucose levels.