Question
Posted by: JC | 2008/05/26

1 000mg of calcium each day

How much milk do I have to drink a day to get my 1000mg of calcium each day? Can it be fat free milk?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear JC
Fat free milk and dairy products contain as much (even a little more) calcium than full cream products. You need approximately 2-3 glasses of milk a day if that is how you want to take your calcium. Remember to split the dosage and have it throughout the day and not all at once.

2
Posted by: healthy Bones Expert | 2008/06/06

Older people actually require more calcium, but 1000 mg per day is fine. They do however need about 800 IU of Vit D to help with the absorption of calcium.
Regarding magnesium- the RDA is 230 mg per day which you find in wheats, legumes, nuts etc. Some patients with restless legs syndrome benefit from magnesium and others don't.

Reply to healthy Bones Expert
Posted by: Shalom | 2008/06/05

Is it true that older people requires less calcium - In other words, the older you are, the less calcium you require, especially men?

Restless legs (men), requires more Magnesium. True or false?
How many mg per day is acceptable?

Reply to Shalom