advertisement
Updated 14 February 2013

How much niacin is too much?

Generally, niacin is not very toxic as this vitamin is excreted through the urine. Taking more than 1 000 mg per day will merely cause the face to look flushed for a while.

0
Generally, niacin is not very toxic as this vitamin is excreted through the urine.

Taking more than 1 000 mg per day will merely cause the face to look flushed for a while.

But a niacin intake of 3 g per day can actually damage the liver – especially if the niacin is taken in the form of slow-releasing supplements.

An overdose of the vitamin may be especially dangerous in people suffering from asthma or peptic ulcers.

Taking large doses of niacin (to lower blood cholesterol levels, for example) should only be done under the guidance of a doctor.

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

FYI »

When the flu turns deadly Why the flu makes you feel so miserable

Could a deadly flu strain hit SA this winter?

Following an intense flu season in the US and UK, should we be worried about our own upcoming flu season?

Alcohol and acne »

Dagga vs alcohol: Which is worse? SEE: Why you are drinking more alcohol than you realise

Does alcohol cause acne?

Some foods can be a trigger for acne, but what about alcohol? Dermatologist Dr Nerissa Moodley weighs in.