The immune system protects the body from substances that could be harmful, such as toxins, cancer cells, and blood or tissues from another person.
When your immune system is compromised, whether by disease, or stress, or disease, or an unhealthy lifestyle, the following signs could appear:
- Immunodeficiency causes continuous or recurring infections. These are serious infections caused by organisms that are normally mild. Opportunistic infections are infections that are widespread and controllable, but seriously affect someone whose immmune response is lacking.
- Incomplete recovery or weak response to treatment of infections. Needing several courses of antibiotics to clear up an infections could be a sign of poor immune response.
- An increase in the incidence of certain cancers, such as Kaposi's sarcoma or non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- The presence of tumours could also reflect poor immune responses.
- Recurring yeast infections could be a sign of immune system trouble.
- Ongoing and recurring respiratory infections, such as bronchitis and pneumonia could indicate immune system problems.
- Delayed or incomplete recovery from illnesses, from which others may be recovering far more quickly.