Generally, a child will learn to read when he or she is ready, but there are things you can do to encourage your child to develop a fondness for reading.
This will help them with communication and speech and is also great bonding time.
• As you read, run your finger below the words to show your child that words carry the story.
• Use excited, animated voices for animal characters and don't be afraid to have fun and get your child excited.
• Take time to look at the pictures and to ask your child questions.
• If there is a phrase repeated in the story, ask your child to join in.
• Compare events in a book to similar events in your child's life.
• Answer any questions from your children, which can help them verbalise their thoughts.
• Continue reading to your child, even after the child has learned to read.
Read more on healthy tips for healthy kids:
Get your kids to drink more water
Protect your family against worms
Fit kids are smart kids