Love is a temporary insanity, as all those know who have ever lost their hearts to a stranger. Here are 25 signs that a new relationship is heading for disaster.
There are certain telltale signs early on in a relationship that "the path of this love may never run smooth":
- You are hesitant to introduce your new partner to your parents or friends.
- You are sure you will eventually get used to the smell of smoke.
- Your idea of a good movie is a three-handkerchief affair while your partner prefers the latest in the schlock-horror genre.
- You like to sleep in, while your partner prefers the early morning for marathon training sessions.
- Your partner kisses with his/her eyes open.
- You belong to two book clubs, while your new partner’s reading skills are restricted to figuring out instructions on DIY kits.
- You are a dog person and she is a cat person.
- Her ex-boyfriend hides behind a shop display when he sees her approaching.
- He takes you to a cheap franchise restaurant on a first date.
- You really mind that she messes red wine on your couch.
- You think her children are undisciplined and demanding brats.
- Your partner has an uncertain and erratic employment history, yet drives a fancy car.
- You lose the battle for her attention to computer games on a Saturday night.
- Your partner is using a credit card that bears a different surname to his own.
- You find out that there are three ex-husbands lurking in the background – and she is only 29.
- Your new partner is rude to waitresses in restaurants.
- There are certain phone calls your partner will not answer in your presence.
- You get a box of chocolates for Christmas, his daughter gets a car.
- He/she never opens bank statements or accounts.
- Your new partner constantly badmouths previous partners.
- You like food from delis – she likes McDonalds Burgers.
- You find your partner’s ID Book on the floor – and realise she has subtracted 8 years from her real age.
- Your partner wants to have children with you, but shows little interest in those he already has.
- She does not seem to have any friends who have known her for longer than six months.
The answer is simple – get out while you can still do so with minimal damage to yourself and your self-esteem.