So often we focus on what we expect other people to do for us rather than taking a look at how we can make Christmas more enjoyable for other people.
And if you think about it, in the end Christmas really is more about giving than receiving.
Here's what you can do to make the day special for others:
- Phone a family member who is far away and whom you haven’t seen for a while.
- Invite someone round who will definitely be spending the day alone.
- Offer to help clear up the kitchen after Christmas lunch.
- Help to put finishing touches to the Christmas decorations.
- Offer to wrap presents.
- Get into the hot red suit and play Father Christmas.
- Don’t pretend you are too cool to sing Christmas carols.
- Entertain your impossible nephew to give the other guests a bit of a breather.
- Praise the food, regardless of what it tastes like.
- Say thank you nicely for all the gifts you received.
(Susan Erasmus, Health24, updated December 2012)