What is happening to your baby:
The following changes happen this week:
- Your baby weighs about 1gram.
- Your baby will move if touched through the wall of the uterus.
- Cartilage and bones begin to form.
- The tongue begins to develop.
- The development of the eyes is well underway and eyelids appear.
- All organs, nerves and muscles are beginning to function.
- The hands are bent at the wrist.
- The intestines start to move out of the umbilical cord and into the abdomen.
- The feet begin to lose their webbed appearance.
- The fingers and thumb appear.
What is happening to you:
- Your breasts have become fuller and may feel very sensitive.
- You may find that you cannot fit into your clothes any longer as your waistline expands.
- Heartburn becomes a problem.
- There is an increase in the volume of blood in your body. This will improve your skin, but can soften your gums. Good dental hygiene is therefore especially important.
- Your heart will be pumping this extra blood around your body, causing your temperature to rise.
- You may have nose-bleeds which are common in pregnancy.
What to do:
- Buy a good supportive bra – you may want to wear it at when you sleep.
- Start shopping for maternity clothes, or better still, borrow second-hand clothes from friends and relatives.