Congratulations with your new son or daughter! If your baby hasn’t been born yet, don’t panic. Only 5% of babies are born on their scheduled date. A baby is only considered overdue at 42 weeks.
What is happening to your baby:
- Your average baby is about 51 centimetres long.
- The average weight is 3.4 kilograms. The healthy range is between 2.5 and 38 kilograms.
- Most of the vernix caseosa (the whitish substance that covers him/her) is gone.
- 15% of the body is fat.
What is happening to you:
- Your amniotic fluid is pale and milky because of your baby’s shedding of vernix caseosa.
What to do:
- Rest as much as possible – this is your last chance!